Pages

Thursday, July 23, 2009

Experiment

On a whim I submitted some old point and shoot photos to several microstock agencies. Of the 16 I submitted, 12 were accepted by shutterstock, 13 by bigstockphoto, 1 by fotolia and 0 by the reviewers at dreamstime. The dreamstime rejection explanation: "Poor optical performance due to low lens quality, such as lens fringing, chromatic aberrations, uneven sharpness in focus area."

I don't really know what half of that means, but I took it as a dare - a little summer learning opportunity. So, I bought a Panasonic G1 assuming the 12-45mm kit and the 45-200mm lenses would be better than a point and shoot lens. I snagged a great Amazon deal on the blue camera kit and the 45-200mm lens - about $680 total. Here's the experiment, is it really the lens or is it the photographer? Will dreamstime accept something from a super-novice with better than point and shoot lenses?

The city scenes below were some of the first shots I took out of the box. They were also firsts on my 30 day trial of photoshop elements. Stay tuned... I'll post in a few months with new stock submission results.

Check out my Bigstockphoto gallery here

Check out my Shutterstock gallery here
Panasonic Lumix DMC-G1 12.1MP Digital Camera with Lumix G Vario 14-45 mm f/3.5-5.6 ASPH Mega OIS Lens (Blue)

No comments:

Post a Comment