Pages

Monday, August 3, 2009

Verdict


I've used the Panasonic DMC-G1 for 3 weeks now, so it's time to pass a verdict.

The most appealing feature for me is the camera's size and weight. The camera is not a burden to tote, so I've been able to carry it with me every day. I don't feel like I'm missing out on great photo opportunities - especially after happy hours when everything is golden. The electronic view finder is impressive, and I find myself using it 80 percent of the time. The large, articulating LCD gives a bright, beautiful view of my shots. The buttons and dials are intuitive only after investing an hour or so absorbing the manual. Picture quality is excellent... when I get it right.

On the con side, the G1 comes with a lousy manual. Also, extended exposure only goes up to 1 minute. What is up with that? I want to do some star track shots in the desert, and I'm sure 1 minute isn't enough time to capture any movement. There may be a way to lengthen this, but I haven't figured it out yet (given the lousy manual). Battery life is subpar as the EVF is a guzzler. Finally, the non-traditional, non-SLR status means that you don't get much respect in photography forums.

Despite the cons, I'm in love with this camera. It's small, it's fun, it's a daring new format, and it has ALL the features needed to learn the craft. Using it keeps me enthused and eager to learn.

Best detailed reviews:
dpreview
cameralabs - also has a nice video review
steves digicams

Best consumer reviews:
amazon :Panasonic Lumix DMC-G1 12.1MP Digital Camera with Lumix G Vario 14-45 mm f/3.5-5.6 ASPH Mega OIS Lens (Blue)

No comments:

Post a Comment